[Sigia-l] Where does Content Management belong?

Ann Rockley rockley at rockley.com
Mon Feb 10 19:59:12 EST 2003

At 11:14 AM 2/10/2003 -0600, Hilary Marsh wrote:
>I strongly believe that Content Management needs to be a hybrid, which can
>certainly be an organizational challenge. Unless it is owned by *both* IT
>and Communications, a company's content management efforts are unlikely to
>be effective from both perspectives.

I agree. Unless Communication (the business) is involved the CMS will not
meet the needs of the business. Our experience has been that IT selects a
tool based on criteria that has nothing to do with the required usage of
the product. When this happens, the CMS does not meet the business needs.
However, if Communication selects a tool and tries to manage it in
isolation of IT, they may select a "siloed" tool or one that they do not
have the technological skill set to effectively manage.

>In addition, unless a company sees its content management efforts from the
>larger business perspective, it's unlikely that there will be executive
>level buy-in ($$) or motivation from employees to take full advantage of
>the system and its capabilities.

And unless the company sees the CMS from the business perspective it will
not be designed to meet the business needs, the functionality required by
the authors, and the functionality to support customer information needs.

Communication should drive the need, IT should support them in their
requirements.

_____________________________

"Managing Enterprise Content: A Unified Content Strategy" (ISBN 0735713065)
by Ann Rockley with Pamela Kostur and Steve Manning is now available from
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735713065/therockleygro-20>amazon.<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735713065/therockleygro-20>com
or
<http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735713065/therockleyg08-20>amazon.ca.
For more information visit www.managingenterprisecontent.com.