[Sigia-l] tenets, principles, standards, etc ...

David Heller dh at htmhell.com
Wed Dec 24 16:01:37 EST 2003

<Ziya's quote regarding why licensing is not necessary = snipped>

Ziya, how one sided of an explanation.
Licensing is not about free speech at all. It is about protecting
consumers. Something that this country has embraced in full (just look
at anti-monopoly laws).

Licensing is meant as a means to protect consumers from malpractice.

That being said, our discipline does not require that level of
protection. We are not talking about deep financial concern. We are a
discipline that in my mind is a luxury that is not life or death like
law or the medical professions, or even architecture/engineering. If I
create a bad taxonomy it could be said that the Dr. using my system took
too long to find what they needed and the patient died, but to me that
is a stretch folks.

I think there are other ways to show value among our peers w/o licensing
or even organization per se.

-- dave