[Sigia-l] tenets, principles, standards, etc ...

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed Dec 24 15:45:24 EST 2003

"Gail" wrote:

> By the way, Designers can be registered in Ontario:

A random answer:

<http://tinyurl.com/2uxyv>

The principle:

"Ought we to have defined standards, or even entrance exams like doctors and
lawyers before licensing those to practice our profession? The licensing
approach was tried in England centuries ago less as a way of ensuring
quality journalism than ensuring compliant journalists who respected the
policies of the monarchy and parliament. Rebellion against that form of
tyranny helped give life to the First Amendment, which provides that there
shall be no abridgement of the right of speech or the press for anyone. This
country does not protect only words uttered by experts, or written by those
licensed to propagate their views. Experience has taught us that wisdom and
insight cannot be licensed, that freedom thrives in the open marketplace,
and that the perceptions of the most humble among us are as authentic as
those of the elite."

Boston University Department of Journalism - Muckracker
<http://www.bu.edu/com/muckraker/oct02/zelnick.htm>

Ziya
Nullius in Verba