[Sigia-l] Re: IA Standards

CD Evans clifton at infostyling.com
Sat Dec 20 15:32:17 EST 2003

I've tried to discuss standards here before but usually to no avail.
Because the standards discussion rarely develops, I'm not sure if
that many of us want to be to be talking about this in public, never
mind fighting over this, and I think I know why.

We are scared by the extreme lack of flexibility in the technological
arena. We've all pointed the finger at those companies who ruthlessly
swallow innovative technology so let's not get too far into the
accusation stance. We have very valid opinions, but the fact is that
we may lose our jobs for wanting any sort of individualization.
Unfortunately, other people are actually suffering because of our
lack of ability to design real communication systems. Think about how
poorly technology really works for saying what people want, or how
many people plainly think that computers are stupid.

It is time we gave standards a good think, in public, and with ethical purpose.

Basically I commend Ziya. Not for being what some milder voices might
think of as offensive, but for helping us all to think our way out of
what is an ugly ugly mess. Ziya is against the "substitution of
'standards'". This is one of the best quotes Ziya has had, and there
have been many many good quotes.

Substituting a standard for real thought is a cheap, quick fix with
little reward. Don't listen to me or Ziya though, listen to
Buckminster Fuller, he's still the brightest and most responsible
architect to date. A genius.

>I am enthusiastic over humanity's extraordinary and sometimes very
>timely ingenuities. If you are in a shipwreck and all the boats are
>gone, a piano top buoyant enough to keep you afloat may come along
>and make a fortuitous life preserver. This is not to say, though,
>that the best way to design a life preserver is in the form of a
>piano top. I think we are clinging to a great many piano tops in
>accepting yesterday's fortuitous contrivings as constituting the
>only means for solving a given problem.
>- R. Buckminster Fuller

Going back in time and designing these 'piano top' mistakes properly
may not be possible, but correcting the obvious is possible. We make
things. Let's make things right.

What we are all looking for is a way to bring back the skilled
individual and as a result, the decency of hand made goods. The cold
war is over, there is no more need for disposable products (Tomorrow
Now, B. Sterling). We all know the road to mass production will mulch
the world into mud and lead our minds into mania. The only way
forward is by individualization.

Basically, I might like to name my kids with a family name like
Webmaker or Interfacer, like the Shoemakers or Smiths. This would not
be for political reasons, but because those were the roles of people
with a dignity that couldn't be bought.

CD Evans

----- http://www.dekorte.com/Quotes.html ----

--
"Design science is very broad, but it starts right here with what you
and I have the right to do."

Responsibilities of the Design Scientist
by Buckminster Fuller