[Sigia-l] sharePoint for search

Alex Wade awade at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 22 16:24:03 EDT 2003

You can easily create your own search results interface, since
SharePoint Portal Server comes with a query web service that will return
the results to you in XML.   However, the search results UI in
SharePoint Portal Server 2003 (SPS2003) has some nice out-of-the-box
features that would take some work to replicate if you did it yourself.

The thesaurus feature within SPS2003 search is used to automatically
expand (syn sets) or replace (i.e. for misspellings) terms from the
user's query.  It not a thesaurus *management* tool, but an XML file
that you can generate out of your own taxonomy system.

---Alex Wade (Microsoft Corp.)