[Sigia-l] We could just use whiteboards instead.

Matthew Rehkopf marehkopf at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 17 22:35:11 EDT 2003

Marc:
"..a Vice President of a
financial services firm getting so involved in what
was happening on
the
wall that he grabbed the marker from one of the team
and started
drawing
his vision of the connections between user activity
and information."

How does one manage revisions and reasons for
revisions when all of the information on the system is
"loose" on the wall? It seems that with so many people
able to make changes, that decisions made prior would
eventually get overwritten because the "changer" was
not aware of the decision, or no one remembers why
something was placed in a particular spot. I guess
this is a question for all of those that work with
stickies until the product is nearly fully designed...

I have found that using digital files and having one
person be in charge of the latest version prevents
decisions from being reversed. I am sure that we have
all worked with clients who, months into the project,
start requesting changes that contradict decisions
that they made earlier. Having digital files and
tracking changes, I have found, helps to remind us of
where we were, and the reasons why the design evolved.

In working with groups with tasks, needs, flow, and
pages up on a wall, how is this risk of reverse
decision making avoided?