[Sigia-l] Isometric vs. Flat Sitemaps

Stewart Dean stewart at webslave.dircon.co.uk
Thu Aug 7 03:40:43 EDT 2003

At 11:53 06/08/2003 -0700, Matthew Rehkopf wrote:
>What are the advantages and disadvantages to isometric
>sitemaps? How many of you use isometric maps? And, if
>you used to make flat maps, why did you switch? How do
>your clients react to isometric maps?

Having done a few recently using someone elses template my take is that
isometric maps are great for clients as they tend to look prettier. They do
often give the potential to show more information than a flat map but are
more time consuming to work with. Also fitting them on a page can be more
tricky. Also it's down to the tools (I did my last ones in Illustrator).

If the means of communication is powerpoint having something that is both
visually pleasing and does allow you to show user paths etc is very handy.
I've seen some wonderful isometric drawings in my time using three
dimensions to communicate complex ideas - it gets over the 'good grief that
looks complicated' factor by it's aesthetic elegance.

But as a working document - good ol' boxes and lines are easier to
maintain. Well that's my take anyway.

Cheers

Stewart Dean