[Sigia-l] Programming IAs was: Little things an IA MUST know/do

James Spahr james at spahr.org
Wed Apr 30 16:19:30 EDT 2003

This has been an interesting thread for me--considering that I'm
someone who wears a couple hats.

The original question was 'what else does an IA need to know?' I think
an IA needs to know enough about the technologies that she deals with
at the office, so she knows what she doesn't know--and she knows where
she can acquire knowledge if she needs to.

Now this is a fuzzy and vague answer. Some people are socially astute
and can make it through life by building a strong social network, and
leverage that network so the depth of their knowledge doesn't need to
be deep. Others need to have deep knowledge so they can be part of (and
get access to) someone else's social network.

Then there is the small minority (not unlike myself) who would prefer
to foster a respectable knowledge base in a couple areas, just because
using a social network was never a very comfortable thing to do. (that
was a difficult sentence to write)

So the answer (IMHO) is that it depends, but at least I explained what
is depends on.

------

On the subject of learning to program and that doing so will make you a
better IA/Designer/Sushi Chef--I say for a majority of people this is
simply not true.

For the most part, I'm an information designer. I can code, I
understand basic OOP design, and I can  manage, and create (a properly
normalized) RDBMS. For the most part this hampers my ability to design.
Perhaps it is because I am usually doing the code and the design
work--but more often than not I find that having elegant, efficient
code and a wonderful UI means that you have a really ugly layer of code
interfacing the two.

Perhaps it's because I'm a crappy programmer (programming is certainly
not why I was but on this earth), perhaps it's because I'm working with
the wrong language or maybe it's just the nature of the web.

Either way, my designs will suffer because of technical issues, and I
need to work hard so I can view my design work without the cloud of
technical knowledge informing my decisions. I would much rather
approach the design work with a very user centric view point, but since
I'm doing the coding as well, that is a very easy view point to forget
about.

James.