[Sigia-l] Programming IAs was: Little things an IA MUST know/do

Donna M. Fritzsche donnamarie at amichi.info
Thu Apr 24 12:07:30 EDT 2003

Good question Dan. My business partner and I were just discussing
this yesterday.

At 11:37 AM -0400 4/24/03, Dan Saffer wrote:
>I think an IA should know enough about the medium/environment she works
>in (Java, HTML, Flash, C++, etc) to know what is possible, although
>knowing how to accomplish (i.e. program) this need not be part of her
>skill set.

I think that the quality of any designers/architects/engineers work
measurably improves if they have some hands-on experience with the
medium that they are designing for.

For instance, a close friend of mine is a carpenter/building
contractor and constantly complains about the blueprints that he
receives from architects who clearly haven't a clue about the process
of building or city codes (according to him!).  This isn't the first
time I have this kind of complaint though.

Our IA work will be "created"  in the medium of software.
I'm in the same camp as Chris Crawford!  I have a pretty extensive
programming background.  Because of that, I can usually understand
the basic design constraints, etc of any programming medium.  But
frankly thats not enough for me.  I haven't actually programmed in
awhile and I think its time to renew my understanding with some
hands-on work.  Right now, I am trying to decide what environment I
will use to renew my skills.  I am thinking some combination of Flash
and XML.

My .02 cents. Hope it is helpful.

Donna