[Sigia-l] Programming IAs was: Little things an IA MUST know/do

Nancy Kaplan nakaplan at ubalt.edu
Thu Apr 24 17:47:23 EDT 2003

I'd like to weigh in here more as an academic than as a practitioner
(though I did once develop an actual application for educational use
long before there was a Web -- I "designed" but others coded).  In
the Interaction Design and Information Architecture curriculum at the
University of Baltimore, we have tried very hard to balance technical
knowledge and experience with design knowledge and experience
precisely because it is very difficult to know the shape and
dimensions of the problem space you are working in if you do not have
some level of first-hand knowledge of the tools and technologies that
help define the problem space in the first place.

I think it is very helpful for every member of a development team to
know more than simply how programmers think.  As Lawrence Lessig has
so brilliantly explained, code is a kind of law.  The design of the
database behind your usable and aesthetically pleasing Web pages
absolutely determine what the site can and cannot do.  The things you
can imagine your programmers can deliver with javascript and cookies
should be shaped by your own appreciation of the scripting language's
chief methods and "preferred ways of doing things."

So it's not just a matter of understanding what programmers do and
how they define their problems and solutions.  It seems to me at
least that having had experience with the constraints and
"affordances" one or more scripting languages or programming
languages come with has real payoff for interaction designers, user
experience experts, graphic designers, even people who write verbal
content for complex sites.  And I say this as someone with no formal
training in CS -- I have a PhD in English Poetry and Painting!  But
as I moved out of the humanities and into HCI work over the past 30
years, I have learned enough programming and scripting to have that
sort of tactile feel for the code that I think helps me be a better
team member.

I won't ever be the technical lead on a project but I am a
knowledgeable participant in discussions about alternatives for
solving the technical issues that always arise.  And I now know how
to tell the difference between "can't" and "don't want to."

It would in my view be helpful if programmers knew more about
usability and human factors and also visual design.  Not so that they
could take over others' jobs, but just so that they also have an
experience-based feel for the problems and solutions others
habitually work with.
--
Nancy Kaplan
Professor

Phone:  410.837.5319 ][ FAX: 410.837.6252
http://iat.ubalt.edu/kaplan