[Sigia-l] visio feature improvements - why bother?

Peter Picone pbpicone at attbi.com
Mon Apr 14 22:33:08 EDT 2003

OK, I have to delurk and wonder a bit about this thread - are we more
concerned here with the semantics of what defines a standard or what defines
an effective tool.

As a UI designer, I have had a lot of success with even the rudimentary
capabilities of Visio.  Even though I am aware that I could spend hours
making it do really cool things.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, it is
a tool.  Nothing more.  You make of it what you can...  Nothing will ever be
perfect for our expectations.  Especially since they vary so widely within
the community.  There is an old expression - "to a man with a hammer,
everything looks like a nail".  If it isn't the right tool for your uses,
find one that is, or make the best of what you have and stop trying to force
it to fit your needs if it isn't working.

On another note, worrying about what is a "standard" makes no more sense
than worrying about what is in "fashion".  If you need someone else to tell
you what to wear, eat, think, dress, or to do your work, then you are not in
control of your craft.  You are a fashion maven.... Get on with it and use
what makes you most effective without becoming a slave to, or trying to
define standard/fashion... it will change next year anyway, and whining
about it serves no practical purpose  professional or otherwise.

-Peter

Peter Picone
President,
Half-Tide Designs, Inc.