[Sigia-l] visio feature improvements - why bother?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Mon Apr 14 19:55:42 EDT 2003

> The IA community is so fractured and violently opposed to itself it's no
> wonder there's hardly anyone trying to address any of our needs.

'Standard setting', when done unilaterally outside of standards
organizations, is usually done not for the benefit of a profession but for
the benefit of the standard owner. It's a commercial proposition.

To cite one example, the mobile phone industry was seen to be hopelessly
fractured just a few years ago. Everybody and his pundit was bemoaning the
lack of 'standards' impeding the glorious progress of this nascent industry.
Then came the WAP 'standard'. Never mind that it was an atrocity concocted
by a handful of carriers, it was a 'standard'. Everybody had to hop on that
bandwagon. You couldn't read an article on any mobile technology without
reading about WAP, the 'standard'.

Thank God WAP is no longer in a position to address my mobile needs. I don't
like 'standards' shoved down my throat.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba