[Sigia-l] Prominence in Short Lists

Listera listera at rcn.com
Thu Apr 10 16:21:16 EDT 2003

Dan, here's your question:
> Even if this were an option, my guess is that radio buttons work best
> vertically, not horizontally AND vertically. Although of course I have
> zero data to back up such an assumption. Anyone know?

I challenge you, Jakob or anybody else to prove that "radio buttons work
best vertically" or "horizontally AND vertically". Or any other specific
way, for that matter. If anybody can, I'll eat my words.

Meanwhile, I gave you just a small set of factors that would directly and in
combination impact the effectiveness of any one specific arrangement for any
specific problem/layout. As I think you'll agree, there's no substitute for
a professional considering many factors and making a decision optimal for a
specific occasion.

My (perhaps subterranean) objection is to "studies" or "data" masquerading
as authoritative solutions to classes of problems/issues. The end result
being the common "You can't do that" or "The nav bar on the left" or "Use
these fonts for children's websites" sort of generic nonsense that gets
regurgitated enough to become "rules".

The problem you raised has no indicated/optimal solution. None. Zero. Zip.
It depends on the myriad factors dictated by the specific circumstances.
Meaningful insight can be gained from specific components of that problem
when broken down and researched. Hence my "scan" question to you.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba

P.S. I may or may not be omnipotent, but you should definitely reduce your
daily caffeine intake.