[Sigia-l] Information-centered Design

Pittas Marios marios at pittas-associates.com
Sat Apr 5 03:13:33 EST 2003

Ed

Having studied the paper way back in the early nineties, Vannevar's vision
also talked about being able to share that knowledge by "taking" what
information I traversed (through the information universe) and passing it to
others (can't remember whether he talked about sharing the links to the
information or the actual information itself)...

Needless to say that that vision was described with the technology available
back then ("Atlantic Monthly", 1940's I believe?)..

I can't seem to remember whether he talked about networked machines.. I
believe not.. he thought more of single machines, like typewriters (? is
that correct ?).. However, the vision was clearly one of information sharing
in order to biuld knowledge so that... emm... to reduce wars... mmmm

The closest that we have probably come to this vision is probably IE's
"Send" menu.. hmm.. :-)

Marios