[Sigia-l] white paper: "The Top 25 Things Every Content Management Vendor Should Know About What their Customers Want"

Joe 10 joe at joe10.com
Fri Apr 4 00:43:53 EST 2003

Like any on-line (and off line) transaction, what people are willing
to trade for a commodity is a factor of the transactional friction to
the perceived transactional value.  Ebay is a great example - the
Friction is high, but the value is high enough that people put up
with the crummy look-n-feel.
(credit where credit's due:  this analogy comes more or less from a
conversation with Cliff from http://www.echovar.com/ )

If an email address for a report which might give you a business edge
seems like too great a barrior, you don't make the trade.

I personally get fine results asking people to sign up for a
newsletter in exchange for a bit of written effort, and yes, it's
available without signing up too if Chris wants to find it and
publish the URL :-) A matter of fact, it's available without signing
up from a Canadian company who's stolen it and published it on their
site as a "Tool", but that's another story.

I don't think most people with a e-zine or newsletter are trying to
jealously protect their offering, but more saying "if you like this,
you'll like what else I have to say...". It's a shame that some have
spammed the bejezus out of folks and made the practice seem sleezy.

/Joe

--

Joe Tennis
Information Design Honcho