[Sigia-l] white paper: "The Top 25 Things Every Content Management Vendor Should Know About What their Customers Want"

Christopher Fahey [askrom] askROM at graphpaper.com
Thu Apr 3 14:30:23 EST 2003

Todd wrote:
> Why should I have to give you my email address and
> subscribe to your newsletter to get the whitepaper?
> No thanks!

1) You don't *have* to subscribe to the newsletter to get the
whitepaper.
2) You don't *have* to enter your real email address to get the
whitepaper. You can enter a phony email address. In fact, you can even
enter just a single character. Like many forms of this informal nature,
the validation is nearly non-existent.
3) Even if you were required to give a valid email address, is that so
unfair in return for being permitted to read their whitepaper for free?
4) With a little cleverness, you can skip the form entirely:
  http://www.contentcompany.biz/25_Things_White_Paper.pdf

Anyway, this makes me wonder exactly how many people:

  1) Have a fit every time they see an email request
    form and immediately take a hostile attitude
    towards the site and the company.
  2) Automatically attempt to enter phony email
    addresses into such requests (such as z at z.z) to
    'sneak under the radar'.
  3) Maintain a phony email account for such
    purposes.
  4) Unquestioningly enter their real email
    addresses.

-Cf

[christopher eli fahey]
art: http://www.graphpaper.com