[Sigia-l] DHTML Menus and Usability

Lyle_Kantrovich at cargill.com Lyle_Kantrovich at cargill.com
Mon Sep 23 02:02:07 EDT 2002

Ziya:
> I hope your superiors pay you money to come up with what's
appropriate for a
> given task, as opposed to slavishly emulating what may be dominant at
the
> moment. Maybe you should talk to that old horse called Sarcastic
about the
> notion of herd mentality.

Just making the point that doing "new for the sake of new" gets old
(and gets people laid-off).  Sometimes "good enough" is good enough.
Herd mentality saves millions of lives annually.  ;-)

But you folks know that.  Moderation is the Key(tm).

Sarcastic is dead.  He was beaten to death along with this thread.

Here lies the DHTML Menus thread:
- No solid research on them - lot o' opinions.
- Don't get stuck in "standards" ruts - they eventually go over a cliff
- Don't wander around the countryside trying to blaze a new trail -
look for ruts or set out with purpose
- Follow ruts to make roads
- Go around the mud puddles
- Avoid accidents
- Use your turn signal
- C.Y.A.

Regards,

Lyle Kantrovich
User Experience Architect
Cargill
http://www.cargill.com/

Personal Web Log:
http://crocolyle.blogspot.com/
Commentary on usability, information architecture and web design.