[Sigia-l] DHTML Menus and Usability

jtrainor at modicon.com jtrainor at modicon.com
Wed Sep 18 16:36:09 EDT 2002

<snip>
Obviously, I'm exaggerating a bit to make a point here, but when I have to
diagnose a bad UI, a quick rule of mine is: more/longer menus often signal
less usable app.
</snip>

I agree with this statement, but as a lurker on the list, it would be nice
to hear what are the alternatives?

      Faced with the task of merging five divisions of my company onto one
extranet that already suffers from long menus, I would like to hear anyone
else's experiences. We are about to spend a week with Delphi Group on
devising a correct taxonomy for better search results, but how does one
deal with a myriad of choices on products within menus.

Using the window like tree, while less threatening to users, has be come a
huge (in more ways than one) issue as we begin to look at including product
information for 5 divisions

Is the proper method personalization thru a portal product, better use of
first level pages to migrate the user to correct area where menu are not
hiding options,  a product matrix on the first level acting as a jump
point, or something else.

I am sure there is no exact answer but any insight is appreciated

Thanks
Jim Trainor