[Sigia-l] a plea regarding the list archive & junkmail

karl fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Thu Oct 31 12:40:34 EST 2002

The issue that Andrew raises was caused first by the searchable
archive at http://www.info-arch.org/lists/sigia-l/, then by the
ASIS&T archives which came later.

If, as a group, we feel this is important, someone will have to
modify the info-arch.org site. If that doesn't happen any changes to
the ASIS&T archive will be moot.

I understand Andrew's plea. However, the cat is out of the bag. I'm
not sure how much retroactive filtering will help.

Filtering the public archives would only help those willing to
create a new address for use on this list. ie: create a new address,
unsubscribe the old one, subscribe the new one.

ASIDE: I have always subscribed to public mailings lists with the
       *expectation* that the list will have a searchable public
       archive, that my address will probably be harvested, and I
       will get spam.

       SIGIA-L is, by my definition, a public list--anyone can
       subscribe to it, they need no permission to do so, and they
       can read/post/unsubscribe as they wish.

       I dislike spam as much as everyone else, and begrudge that
       I've had to install spam filters (I now use Spam Assassin;
       works great). I view this as the price I pay for
       participating in the net, though I do miss the days when I
       posted to Usenet without thinking of such things.

       I continue to post my address with abandon and deal with the
       spammers the best that I can.

--karl