[Sigia-l] AOL is NOT stopping pop-ups

Brian.Calandra at ogilvy.com Brian.Calandra at ogilvy.com
Thu Oct 17 13:11:41 EDT 2002

Before we all start firing cannons into the air to celebrate a victory in
the war for a usable Web, AOL has most certainly NOT stopped using pop-ups.
It's shrewdly manipulating the media for a sound bite. Time Warner is
trying to goose AOL's stock and ad sales (now there's irony) by
demonstrating how it is updating its services to avoid churn or defections
within its 35 million strong subscriber/consumer base. They're removing ads
so they can advertise better.

An detailed report in yesterday's Wall Street Journal (too bad their online
service is subscription only) provided salient details about AOL's decision
to remove pop-ups. The only pop-ups the "ban" applies to are windows that
greet an AOL user when they log on, and annoyingly jump up, porn style,
when a user tries to log off. The Journal article specifically addressed
the fact that AOL wasn't, like Earthlink, giving its users functionality to
disable ALL Web pop-ups, and even included a quote warning that in light of
this closed revenue stream it is exploring "new" ways to insert advertising
into the overall Internet experience.

If anyone has access to that Journal article, it would be fantastic if you
could submit it to this list. Why I'm suprised by exploited press moves
from AOL/Time Warner I'm not sure, but rest assured this is calculated move
to imply that AOL's service won't get marginalized by cheaper competitors,
like Yahoo, and that its advertisers will be able to speak to a captive
audience more effectively, since they'll continue to gather more
information on them over time.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Brian