[Sigia-l] "Content Silos"

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Oct 8 14:41:39 EDT 2002

"Richard Wiggins" wrote:

> You miss the point entirely.  The "state" information was stored in Betty's
> brain or on pieces of paper in her folder, waiting to be updated into the
> computer later on.

I don't remember this being explicitly explained in your description. After
all, there are many considerations here. When a *single* database goes down,
the *entire* operation comes to a halt without recourse, for all agents.
Tell me you never heard of that one. :-) Or it could be that Betty didn't
keep everything in her head but the specific database she tried to access
was not available. Or that a part of her DB is tied to another DB someplace
else, which may be down. So that...

> When Betty goes offline, all her customers in-process do too.

...Betty, the person, may not necessarily be the problem or the keeper of
the state information. The system may fail even when Betty is there, for all
sorts of architectural reasons.

> With USAA, there is never a piece of paper involved in their transaction
> processing or logging.

Again, this (paperless record keeping) may not necessarily guarantee
uninterrupted service. Service workflows (especially in large organizations)
can be fiendishly difficult (even just at the technical level) than your
reduction of it to paper/agent vs. single DB.

Best,