[Sigia-l] site redesigns: transfer users, reactions to change

Samantha Bailey a2slb at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 25 10:17:31 EST 2002

Hi,

We've recently released a site redesign that was extensively tested, so we
went into it with a good understanding of what worked and what didn't. Those
of us on the design side were prepared for the idea that some users would
dislike the change just because it was a change, even if the site was
working better, and our call centers were prepared for extra call volume the
week after the launch.

I'm not sure that we prepared our business partners as well as we might
have, however, as a number of people were very thrown by the level of
customer complaints and confusion around the site having changed. It
retrospectively made us realize that we had experienced this phenomenon and
had anecdotal information but didn't really know of any studies or research
that might help us help our business partners be more realistically prepared
for large-scale change. To that end, I'd like to ask the list if you have
experience in this arena:

1) What do you do to prepare your clients or business partners for negative
reactions to changes that you've tested and are confident are largely
positive improvements to a site?

2) Any recommendations for measuring customer satisfaction around a
change--clearly if you measure it immediately before and immediately after,
you are going to get different data points than 3 months down the line after
people are more acclimated to the new site.

3) Anyone know of any articles or research on this topic?

I will summarize all responses I get and send to the list.

Thanks!

Samantha

Samantha Bailey
samantha at baileysorts.com | http://baileysorts.com

"Do you know what that trick is? Magicians would call it the redirection.
A theologian would note that it parallels a theme found in all religions:
the paradox of turning away from the goal to achieve the goal."
-Karl Fast