large font use (was Re: [Sigia-l] Faceted classification browsing tool

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Sun Nov 24 19:49:20 EST 2002

> From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org]On
> Behalf Of Christina Wodtke
>
> the help page wasn't really speaking kids language, which consists
> not only in easier to recognize large font (as Avi contends) but
> also lots of illustrations, simpler sentences, more frequent
> paragraph breaks and a host of other elements...

Kids books typically have the above attributes.

Naturally, when a page with only a couple sentences or a very short
paragraph, the font is typically set a bit larger to balance the look
of that page. This happens not just in kids books, but also in some
adult poetry books set with generous spacing.

Probably the only other places where I have seen a large block of text
set in a larger-than-usual font is those large-print books for people
who are visually challenged. But even in that case, the font is
nowhere as huge as the giant font used in the mentioned help page.

Most likely the designer had a very different setting on the monitor
used to set the help page. Thus, the page looked ok on that monitor
but looks awful on other monitors.

Boniface