[Sigia-l] Faceted classification browsing tool

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Fri Nov 22 18:37:07 EST 2002

> From: sigia-l-admin at asis.org [mailto:sigia-l-admin at asis.org]On
> Behalf Of Maribeth Sullivan
>
> Anecdotal: I am a Literacy Volunteer and work with an adult
> beginning reader who is delighted to see large text. It is much
> easier for her to differentiate letters and decode them,
> particularly the more difficult blended sounds.

I can see that for teaching individual letters and words. However, the
web page in question is not for that purpose. It is basically a large
block of dense text with a dozen drawings on the right.

Wouldn't people learning to deal with individual letters and words be
intimidated by such massive number of "big letters"?

[...]
> For those of us who teach adults, it is a challenge to find material
> suitable for adults that is formatted for beginning readers.

And the web is a great help because you can choose your own font face
and size. That is until some web sites come along and override your
font setting. :-(

Boniface