[Sigia-l] Re: [OT] SpamArrest (was: The end is near)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Thu Nov 21 23:37:06 EST 2002

At 05:23 AM 22-11-02, Listera wrote:
>It's discourteous because I have no desire or obligation to directly send
>any email to the spammer.  Whatever its purpose might be, it sure doesn't
>benefit me. It shifts the burden of spam management from the poster to me,
>by spamming me. Outrageous.

On another list I manage, some dude did the same thing. In a couple of
hours, several people had complained. On investigating it, I found that
SpamArrest has the option of specifying list addresses so individuals
posting to that list DON'T get this pain-in-the-arse mail. I shudder to
think what would happen if all 3200+ people on that list started using such
a service.

We dropped the user a polite note asking him to change his settings. Then
we set his account to nomail so he wouldn't get any more mail from the list. :)

That's the only solution I see. Unsub them or set them to "nomail".

Like Ziya said, when I'm posting to a mailing list, I'm not sending mail to
any individual and I have no real desire to get into someone's whitelist.

Even if it were possible, modifying the list settings so all mail comes
from the same address would be annoying. I read posts by certain people
because I consider them experts or knowledgeable. If the posts all came
from the same sender, I would no longer be able to pick and choose.

>*every time* I start a thread I would get literally *hundreds* of
>pieces of email, asking me to go out of my way to solve their spam problem.
>Not gonna happen.

No bloody way.

>So I'm willing to bet that spam prevention by spamming is not going to work
>in the long run. I wish the list owners would do something about it.

If the subscriber can't be bother to change his or her software settings to
specify this address as a valid mailing list address, off with their heads,
er, email address. :)

All IMO, of course.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net   |   Yahoo messenger: cold_logic

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy