[Sigia-l] width limits for a body of text

Boniface Lau boniface_lau at compuserve.com
Wed Nov 20 22:51:43 EST 2002

[...]
> So, perhaps what interface designers should consider is using their
> specialized expertise to create designs that are generally pleasing
> to the eye, easy to scan and read, yet also adjustable by the users
> browser settings or other preferences.

And that is why I said a web page should not "impose" a line length.

[...]
> Sheesh, if there's this much controversy surrounding a question
> about line lengths, is it any wonder that many techies -- who simply
> want an answer of how to code their HTML and CSS, and would prefer
> to have that answer quickly -- don't want to listen to people like
> us with our usability religion?

I am not sure whether what went on here is really that controversial.
Seems to me, the issue boils down to knowing the target audience. If
that is not feasible, ensure the web design is flexible, not rigid as
if designing for a print magazine.

Boniface