[Sigia-l] width limits for a body of text

karl fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Wed Nov 20 19:10:29 EST 2002

> > > Users know best because they know their default font face, size,
> > > monitor size, DPI, etc.
> >
> > I don't think you want to bet me on that one.
>
> Can you tell us how you would set a reasonable line length without
> overriding the user font face and size and yet without knowing the
> user font face, size, monitor size, and DPI?

I think what Ziya means is that most users would not be able to
answer questions like "how big is your monitor?" or "what's the
default font size in your browser?"

They don't know these answers is a quantifiable way. However, I
think they do "know them" in a qualitative way: it's a big monitor,
the type on most web pages is too small.

--karl