[Sigia-l] intranet ROI musings

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Tue Nov 19 00:06:12 EST 2002

On 19/11/02 1:16 PM, "Listera" <listera at rcn.com> wrote:
>> It's a fact of human nature that an increase in capacity to supply is
>> usually matched by an increase in consumption - which is why building more
>> roads and highways will usually result in simply more traffic, not less
>> congestion.
>
> Given that argument, we don't give up and stop building roads or build
> crappy ones. One assumes the designers/builders have some sense and use it
> to make decisions.

Unfortunately the squeaky wheel often gets the grease and the wrong problem
gets solved. With congested highways, the problem isn't highway congestion
so much, instead it is "how to move a lot of people on a regular basis from
the burbs to the office and back again". Restating the problem like that
opens the scope of solutions beyond "build more roads".

> A letter of resignation is always an option, in my book.

mine too :-)

Although an independent contractor, this doesn't mean I'm totally mercenary,
not even when 'tasked' to do an excellent job which is well within my
capabilities.

Beyond this point I think I'll only be echoing many of the points Peter
Morville makes in "Bottoms Up" ...

http://www.newarchitectmag.com/documents/s=2452/na1202b/index.html

e.