[Sigia-l] intranet ROI musings

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Mon Nov 18 19:31:53 EST 2002

On 19/11/02 3:37 AM, "Smith, Denise (Hewitt)" <denise.smith at idea.com> wrote:

>> A further question then arises: what if you are tasked with building this
>> system, one which could finally pay back heretofore unclaimed staff
>> expenses, knowing that it would cost the company many millions in expense
>> payouts?
>
> I don't see what the dilemma is here. If a company offers a benefit, such as
> my company which pays up to a certain amount each month for internet access
> & for a health club ( so we stay wired & unstressed) these are planned for
> expenses. We have to submit expense reports. Its a planned-for expense.

I was thinking more along the lines of ad hoc expenses, as typically claimed
by managers or sales people out and about schmoozing. Theoretically, that
50c they drop into a parking meter is a claimable expense ... which for
practical purposes they never bother claiming due to the hassle. Reduce the
hassle and it gets claimed.

Its good that even trivial expenses are finally being recognised and paid.
On the other hand it is open for abuse and rorting. Just as I'd have qualms
about building a system which allowed a business to rip off people (staff,
customers), I'd like to think I would also think twice about the converse.

e.