[Sigia-l] Clueless Band-Wagoning

karl fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Sun Nov 17 09:55:11 EST 2002

Derek, you raise many questions and concerns. I have offered
explanations for what AIfIA has done, and why, and what it hopes to
achieve. I have tried, as best I can, to respond.

I have some questions of my own (from your last post):

1. You reference ideas that other people on this list have made
   about IA (Lou, Peter, Jesse, and others). You note that these
   people were involved in starting AIfIA.

   Are your criticisms aimed at certain individuals, their ideas, or
   the concept of AIfIA as an organization? I may be misreading you,
   but you seem to be against all three. Just looking for
   clarification.

2. You write "It would appear to me that most IAs really have *no
   clue* regarding the above issues and lack the knowledge to
   discuss it." If true, then it means existing IA resources have
   failed: SIGIA, ACIA, B&A, the Wiki, and so on. Of course AIfIA
   has not been able to address this since it's so young.

   Could AIfIA address this lack of knowledge among "most IAs?" If
   yes, how? If no, why not? Why has SIGIA been unable to do this?

4. Do you believe that AIfIA has no value to offer the IA community,
   will do only harm to the profession of IA, and should close it's
   doors? If no, what should we do to change AIfIA so that it does?
   If yes, I'd like to know how many others agree with you?

5. You ask us: "don't list-members know anyone and their mother can
   publish a book?" You feel strongly that current books about IA
   are poor and contain many wrong ideas. Are you writing a book to
   correct this situation?

6. Your criticisms have been vocal and strongly worded. Do you
   believe they have been constructive and effective? I'm asking
   Derek specifically on this, but I would like to hear from others.

Oh, and by the way, I am not on dope. <g>

--karl