[Sigia-l] morality in IA

Eric Reiss elr at e-reiss.com
Fri Nov 15 06:17:15 EST 2002

Christina,

Certainly it comes as no surprise that every action we take, both
personally and professionally, has an impact on our world, however
slight. In fact, the theme has been espoused by most classical
philosophers in one form or another from Plato to the present.
Other-directed individuals (to borrow a David Reisman mindset) have
always been aware of this impact and the related burden of
responsibility.

Since we all seem to agree that IA is an important part of the
communication process, it follows that the greater the importance,
the greater the impact, and hence the greater our social/moral
responsibility.

You wrote:
Do anyone else feel like what we do isn't just mucking around in the
dotpop land anymore? that we have obligations?

Let me suggest that anyone who’s just “mucking around in the dotpop
land” probably isn’t on this list to begin with.

I’m astonished you even ask.

Best regards,
Eric

e-reiss.com