[Sigia-l] morality in IA

Bill Darnall darnall at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 14 19:20:37 EST 2002

Christina,

Of course there is no single answer. Questions about ethics and morality
have no answers, other than, "it depends." Yet, one's conscience, yearns to
know the truth, or at least the way of the truth.

I believe that in the real world it is important to strive for excellence,
since I don't have time to wait for perfection. So the quality and value of
my work is a matter of degree and value judgment, and oh yes, perspective. I
believe that all taxonomies are prejudiced; we all have our own prejudicial
views of things. Its the nature of being human. Its the nature of growing up
in a particular environment. A taxonomy created by a child would possibly be
different than one created when he or she was a mature adult. We are a
reflection of the society in which we grow up. Today, our society is much
more the world than ever before. So you concern is right on.

For myself, I believe I have an obligation to present the facts in a way
that will be truthful and useful for the user. That means there must be some
criteria by which my work is judged. Did I meet or exceed the criteria? That
answer is what must control. Even then, no everyone will agree with the
criteria. I doubt that it will ever satisfy all people in all places for all
time. For example, the use of the same color or gesture may have wildly
different meanings in different cultures. What if there is no criteria?
Well, it depends.

Bill D.

Christina Wodtke wrote