[Sigia-l] Things to learn.

Jody A. Hankinson hank99 at bway.net
Thu Nov 14 11:59:01 EST 2002

On 11/14/02 4:31 AM, "Samir M. Nassar" <nassarsa at redconcepts.net> wrote:
> What do I want to know? Here is the thing, I do not know yet. (Helpful,
> eh?)
> So, does this list provide information in the same manner as the first
> format of mailing lists, and if not, is there a list that does?

Samir - I'm going to take a stab at actually answering your question. The
easy answer is yes, this list provides the type of community sharing about
IA. Unlike some of the other lists, this one is a bit more conversational,
stream of consciousness. Not bad, just different.

Now to your first question, you just learned a huge lesson in the things you
need to know. Communication skills. I'm speaking for myself, but the days
when I have an IA challenge are like a ray of sunshine. Most of my work is
massaging team dynamics, negotiating corporate structure (i.e. Politics) and
selling IA as an important component of the team (even in the best of
situations, I have to regularly prove my worth).

In fact, that heated exchange could be used as a case study. Company Xyz is
introducing an intranet. They've run the numbers, done the research, talked
to key management and even held forums where the employees can participate
in planning the thing. Everyone they've spoken to agrees the changes will
benefit everyone in the company. Lots of work, late hours and prep go into
the release. They have a big meeting for the launch, lots of excitement and
enthusiasm unveil the new systems and the employees hate it. No one asked
them. They weren't invited to the strategy sessions. Yeah everyone will
benefit, but mostly the managers who will be getting bigger bonuses. The
managers are shocked. They spent a lot of time thinking about the company's
needs and how these changes will make things better and how could anyone say
otherwise. The initiative stalls. Senior management makes the decision to
launch, but institute weekly feedback meetings that include all groups
within the company and all levels. No one is happy, lots of feelings are
hurt, but things move forward nonetheless.

If you think I'm kidding, take a look at back issues of Harvard Business
Review. There will be a ton of article on how to introduce initiatives
successfully. I'm not trying to say that the IA community is a business, but
there are lessons to be learned here that you can take back to your desk and
implement in your practice.

- Jody

Jody A. Hankinson
   Information Architect ......| Interpreting strategy and processes
e: hank99 at bway.net             | into Internet applications.
t: 917.749.0910