[Sigia-l] time-out session lengths, security, and user tasks

Samantha Bailey a2slb at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 12 08:34:57 EST 2002

As someone who works for a bank and deals with this issue regularly, I'll
weigh in on the experience we've had. Online banking requires a delicate
balance: our customers are seeking convenience and ease of use (as they
should) and they demand security. A security breach would undermine our
credibility, but worse, it would break the social contract we have with our
customers to protect their information & their money. Subsequently, we err
on the side of security while constantly striving to limit the degree to
which this poses barriers and inconvenience for our customers.

One thing we have consistently found is that users consistently need/want
more time to complete tasks than we initially imagine using the "seems
reasonable" rule of thumb. Often when designing a system we envision our
customers using the system in a focused and linear fashion that puts the
activity at the forefront of their mind. In reality, people often begin
online banking and then have the phone ring, the radio catch their
attention, the baby cry, etc. Furthermore, some online banking processes
(e.g., applications) are inherently complex and can require customers to
seek information mid-process that they didn't realize they would need (even
when you give good 'before you begin' instructions).

Our approach has been security first (yes, we listen to and respect our IT
folks), reasonable guess at appropriate time limits next and then refining
the timing based on user feedback, both in testing and customer
comments/surveys (yes, we bargain and cajole and otherwise work with our IT
folks to push the parameters and come up with new solutions).

Samantha Bailey
samantha at baileysorts.com | http://baileysorts.com

"Do you know what that trick is? Magicians would call it the redirection.
A theologian would note that it parallels a theme found in all religions:
the paradox of turning away from the goal to achieve the goal."
-Karl Fast