[Sigia-l] Re:Ontology Building: A Survey of Editing Tools

mahons1 at eircom.net mahons1 at eircom.net
Fri Nov 8 11:45:08 EST 2002

08/11/2002 17:01:03, sigia-l-request at asis.org wrote:

>   1. Article: Ontology Building: A Survey of Editing Tools (Melissa Riesland)
>

>Explanation of what ontologies are and how to
>build them, their relation to XML, and a survey
>of available tools.
>
>http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/11/06/ontologies.html

I thought it was a little naive to say the least. The five part process that is
suggested for creating an ontology hides at least a personyear of effort under
each of the five!!

Apropos, the discussion recently here on scaling up (from an ontology on wine...)
is hightly relevant ot the material in this XML item.

I think, as an Information Proferssional, we need to explain/illustrate  ot non
InfoPros that taxonomy/ontology/wordlist/thesaurus building and the like is not
trivial.

Barry Mahon