[Sigia-l] RE: Useful Splash Screens

Bollaert, Jodi Jodi_Bollaert at compuware.com
Fri Nov 8 11:48:59 EST 2002

Hi again...

To clarify, the client's (nursing home facility) idea about the splash
screen was that it would include an image of the facility and their "tree"
logo that would change as the seasons changed.  Kind of like a "welcome"
doormat with an "Enter" link.

I think one value such a page offers is that it communicates that the site
is fresh.  On the other hand, this concept could also be incorporated into a
"home page" with more content.  Based on feedback from the gang, I'd like
the client to consider including a text-based synopsis of the facility's
mission/purpose and contact information.  I also liked Ann Feeney's
suggestion to consider a collection of images of the facility that would
help assuage any fears about nursing homes that they might have.

That being said, maybe it no longer meets the definition of a splash screen
(though there seems to be some disagreement about that), but rather comes
closer to being a true home page.  (Hey, now that I think of it...is there a
standard definition of a home page?)  If the client buys it, then perhaps
I've inadvertently talked them out of the splash screen. :) Thanks so much
for your thoughtfulness and great ideas.

Jodi

Jodi Bollaert
Compuware Professional Services
1.800.292.7432, x10370
jodi.bollaert at compuware.com

"Specializing in Usability, Interaction Design, Information Architecture,
Instructional Design, and More."

and then destroy it.