[Sigia-l] Useful Splash Screens

Coon, Sean SCoon at Datek.com
Thu Nov 7 15:50:55 EST 2002

just for clarification, I was the lurker with the smart ass Ziya
comment. Andrew Gent wrote the following:

Coon, Sean wrote:
> The term "splash screen" is borrowed from software development, where
> the splash screen is the thing that pops up when the application
> starts, listing the application name, version number, etc. (I suspect
> they, in turn, borrowed the word "slash" from advertising where it is
> a bright, temporal, attention-getting device.)

Keep in mind that the original use of the splash screen in the software
world was to occupy the user while the application was loading behind
the scenes. The advertising and various other ways to use the visual
space was/is simply a way to take advantage of the opportunity to
market, reinforce brand, etc.

-challis

Challis Hodge

challis at challishodge.com
847-830-8638
fax 253-295-4700
www.challishodge.com

customer-centered design, technology & business