[Sigia-l] search results and thesauri

Charles Hanson Charles.Hanson at razorfish.com
Wed May 22 10:36:13 EDT 2002

If I am a user of this system, my primary goal is to get results that are "relevant."
The underlying vocabulary structure may matter to me, or it may not. If the results are useful, then I suspect I won't care as much, but if the results are not useful, then I will be looking around for additional aids, one of which may be a way in to the vocabulary structure and the ability to search for alternate terms.

If my search term is truly a synonym to a preferred term within the controlled vocabulary, rather than a "related term," then I am more likely to obtain a satisfying result and thus presumably less interested in the vocabulary in general.  I think that exposure to the vocabulary is more of an issue in the case where there are *no* results, or where there is no direct match to the search term within the vocabulary.

There's certainly a benefit to noting the underlying relationship between query term and index term regardless -- users can always ignore it if they aren't interested.  But in the search results I don't think you want to highlight anything other than the direct matches to the user's search terms, otherwise the sense of control is diminished.

Charles