[Sigia-l] Fwd: Time for communications to take charge of your website

Hilary Marsh hilary at pen4hire.com
Mon May 20 21:30:52 EDT 2002

Manager of Communications is a pretty common corporate title.

As a content strategy/management consultant with an extensive
writing/editing background, I pretty much agree with Gerry. But not
entirely. Communicators are different than communications
departments. The danger of seeing the web as ONLY a communications
medium is that it limits a company's view of what the medium can do.
Communications departments often see the Web as just another
publication, and that's obviously not enough.

Communications departments are also often invested in the current
status quo of a company, especially in terms of hierarchy and
approval. Those folks might have a hard time seeing the need for
dynamism (as opposed to making sure all the "i"s are dotted and that
Legal gets two weeks to review everything).

I think what's really necessary is for a website to be owned by a
visionary with a deep understanding of communication...as well as a
sensitivity to the fact that people like familiarity, that there are
lots of people who have invested many years of their careers into the
current system. That person has to have lots of buy-in from
Communications, Marketing, various business units, departments, etc.,
because they will be called on to work together more often and more
closely than they may ever have before. That might be someone in
Communications, or it might be someone from outside the organization
entirely.

In my view, that person probably isn't an IA. Not because IAs aren't
smart enough, but because they need to focus too closely on what the
user needs, vs. what the organization wants. The site needs to
accommodate both, fairly.

My .02.

--Hilary