[Sigia-l] aother one of them quickie questions (long drop downs)

Lyle_Kantrovich at cargill.com Lyle_Kantrovich at cargill.com
Mon May 13 17:03:39 EDT 2002

Christina said:
> I was just readign this great article
> http://www.internettg.org/newsletter/aug00/article_miller.html
> and it seems to me that it has a lot of bearing on how we design
> dropdown menus.

I just skimmed through the article you cited, and wanted to point out a
key issue that I didn't see it address.  Much of Miller's research (as
I understand it) has to do with short term recall.  Good UI's should
try to rely on people's power of RECOGNITION instead of recall as much
as possible.  Users aren't required to memorize everything in a UI and
then recall it.

Grouping (aka chunking) in screen design allows users to work with
"meta-things" so they only need to recall that there was a certain
group on a page (e.g. a list of product links), but they wouldn't
commit to memory each item in the group.  When things aren't logically
grouped, then the user has to rely more on recalling individual items.

My knowledge in this area doesn't go real deep.  Anyone have any good
references on people's use of memory and usability?

Regards,

Lyle Kantrovich
User Experience Architect

Croc O' Lyle: a personal web log on usability, IA, and web design
http://crocolyle.blogspot.com