[Sigia-l] IA and medium

robert.dornbush at ps.ge.com robert.dornbush at ps.ge.com
Mon May 13 09:46:08 EDT 2002

IA is definitely not inseparable from designing User Experience for the Web.
It also works for Kiosk, CD-ROM, and  Traditional Desktop Software Apps.  I
have been doing the CD and Client Server things since before the "Internet
Economy" was ever a buzz-word.  Now that "Living on Internet Time" is no
longer a happenin' catch phrase, I find that Client-Server Apps have been
replaced by "Web-Enabled Apps (Intranet & sometimes Extranet);" but it the
end, it's all very similar.

The Web is still the primary medium...but not necessarily a prerequisite.
Electronic media may be the "Home" domain of IA [the world needs our help in
sorting out all that crummy "information" which they are bombarded with
every day]; however, IA concepts are equally applicable to Museum "Patron
Experience" and architectural "Wayfinding" as well.

Perhaps "User Cognition" is the medium?  It's certainly true that "It's All
In The Mind."  The "data bits,"; "information," and CRT rendered pixels are
all overrated...
...Yeah, Pretty Much!

Robert E. Dornbush, Jr.
UI Architect / Interaction Designer