[Sigia-l] IA and medium

Ziya Oz ZiyaOz at earthlink.net
Sun May 12 23:29:11 EDT 2002

"Christina Wodtke" wrote:

> Pondering in the backyard on a Sunday afternoon...

What's the beverage?

> Do you think IA is medium specific?

Absolutely not.

> I know the web gave birth to IA (as a title, role, etc)...

I'll leave aside the contentious issue of IA in print, but two other
examples should suffice: a decade of corporate apps mostly of the
client/server type (which we now call intranets) and almost a decade of
CD-ROM production. The formalistic aspects of IA (like title)
notwithstanding, the actual functions were pretty much the same.

I know people on the lesser coast tend to believe technology derives
everything and with every new wave of technology they invent the world anew,
but, us ancients in the center of the universe, we've seen this movie
before. And that should be comforting, for the profession.

Best,