[Sigia-l] What are the essential skills for now and the later? - Amended

Ziya Oz ZiyaOz at earthlink.net
Fri May 10 20:07:43 EDT 2002

"Jay Kumar" wrote:
> I would like to find out from the list members, what other technology relates
> skills do you feel is necessary for now and for near future, which the
> recruiters, hiring managers look for.
> [...]
> This is for an article I am writing about the diverse skill sets needed by
> people in this field.

Though it may sound like a minor detail, but I hope you understand the
difference between what a clueless HR person, recruiter or a manager (of
something) might decide to include in job requirements document on any given
Tuesday and what you actually need to be a good IA in the field.

The former has been covered ad infinitum here on the list. To read about the
"solid C++ coding skills and Photoshop wizardry required" tales, you can
refer to the archives.

To the latter, I would add, the skill to:

think, analyze, listen, follow up, organize, associate, articulate,
anticipate, empathize, persevere and count.

You can always teach someone how, say, making a selection on list box at the
front of a web app may directly impact array management at the server
backend, but there are not too many hours in a day to teach someone without
the skills I listed above how to be a good IA, in real life.

As you can see, I'm trying to dissuade you from going ahead with this
'article' as, I'm afraid, it sounds like it would contribute to the already
insufferable state of affairs with recruiters asking for the kitchen sink.

Best,