[Sigia-l] seeking rules

Ziya Oz ZiyaOz at earthlink.net
Wed May 1 14:09:25 EDT 2002

"Christina Wodtke" wrote:

> I started collecting them because of a blog entry I wrote long ago that
> suggested that rules came from actual good principles. But were "packaged"
> into memorable oversimplified and potentially *dangerous*  rules. Something
> unfortunate happens when  rule of thumb becomes a rule.

Right. My objection to 'rules' (just like my repeated cautions against
'research dependency' on this list) is that more often than not they are
used in lieu of thinking. Thinking is hard; citing rules and research is
easy. The latter inhibits uniqueness and originality and ultimately leads to
stuff like cheap Italian 'furniture', 'fast' food, polyester 'shirts', Jacob
Nielsen and the like :-)

Best,