[Sigia-l] search queries as artifacts...of what?

Michael Fry mwf24 at drexel.edu
Tue Jun 25 10:53:09 EDT 2002

Anybody seen/done research on the (probably non-constant) degree to which the
queries found in a site's search logs reflect users' interaction with the
site's structure rather than their original information need?

In other words, all other things being equal, how much can one expect to see
the contents of those logs change when the site's *structure* changes? Not at
all, because users' original information needs haven't changed? A lot, because
their info needs, as well their need/desire to search, depend on the site
structure? Or, as I expect, something in the middle?

I don't expect a definitive answer to this question (even with references to
research), but I'm curious if anybody's ever tried to measure this. Thoughts?

mf