[Sigia-l] Freelance IA consulting

Ziya Oz ZiyaOz at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 8 17:57:50 EDT 2002

"Betsy Martens" wrote:

> I show the hours, the amount per hour, the total, and then a separate line
> saying "Less 20% discount for nonprofit status" or something to that effect.

Exactly. Don't lower your rate; be magnanimous and give away a portion. (I'm
pretty sure, it's not tax-deductible.)

As I said in a  previous post, no reason why you can't do this with a
for-profit client either, if you know they genuinely need a break or you're
certain it'll lead to further work. Once you lower your rate simply because
the client thinks they can dictate it, it's very hard to raise it again in
any substantial manner.

Another trick is to break down the hours by category of work and charge at
different rates for each role. Then show the discount on the a category not
essential to your skill set, while keeping the rate on your core competency.

Best,