[Sigia-l] Freelance IA consulting

Betsy Martens bigshoulders at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 8 17:42:09 EDT 2002

And yet, there is strategic value in *showing* it as a donated percentage,
if for no other reason than to say to your client, "Hey! I'm worth $xxx per
hour but because you're a nonprofit I'm discounting the price." Whether you
then wade into the murky swamp of tax law is a separate question.

I've had a couple of nonprofit clients where I discount in this way. I show
the hours, the amount per hour, the total, and then a separate line saying
"Less 20% discount for nonprofit status" or something to that effect.

That way, I maintain my hourly rate in the client's mind. I also have what I
call "fallback" jobs that I'll do for less -- writing, editing, proofreading
-- in case there are no IA jobs on the horizon. I'd rather do that stuff
than do cut-rate IA. In such cases, particularly if there's Web site content
work involved, I explain to the client that if the job starts to back into
an IA design I'll have to charge the higher rate, because that work adds
greater value, draws on more experience, and carries with it more
responsibility. I've actually converted a few jobs this way because once the
client was able to see the dramatic impact of a few restructuring moves,
they were happy to pay the higher rate.

Betsy

   Betsy Martens
   Big Shoulders Information Design