[Sigia-l] Assessment Portal

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed Jul 31 20:53:33 EDT 2002

"Laura Norvig" wrote:

> There will be at least one other way to find content, but it may just
> be a search engine. I, of course, would argue for a faceted search
> and/or hierarchical navigation scheme as well, but what do I know?

Structurally speaking, and let's do this in reverse, you need to fetch a
bunch of records from a database, for which you need to form an SQL
statement. Your problem is which is the best method of forming that query:

1) Free form search field --> you parse it and construct the query

2) Some sort of faceted/hierarchical directory --> user maps out his terms
to yours

3) A series of inter-related, cascading, questions posed serially --> you
guide the user down the faceted/hierarchical directory

4) A set of questions posed in parallel --> you do the parsing to form the
query

5) A series of 'typical' assessment situations described as cases --> you
map them to pre-defined queries

6) A permutation of the above options --> you do double work :-)

Is this pretty much the problem?

Best,