[Sigia-l] multidoctype publishing: from Visio and Word: sugg estions?

Anders Ramsay anders at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jul 29 16:47:16 EDT 2002

Why do go to all the trouble of saving the files as GIFs when you can just
embed the native Visio object (copy and paste) into Word, which will retain
all the features of the original and look much cleaner when you  print?

In fact, I've written several large documents (200+ pages) with similar
content.  While not ideal, I simply embedded the Visio objects in the word
doc, which allows for editing them within the word doc, or the embedded
object can also be linked to the original Visio file (a little more work.)
And printing Word docs as PDF files is pretty straightforward (1 click for
me.)

However, like Rhonda says, it is a bit of a hodge-podge, but I think the
real solution is XML-based.  Both Visio and Word files can be in XML format,
and XML, of course, can be pretty much be ported to any domain, including
PDF files.  This leads me to a question for the group:

Is anyone aware of applications that will allow for XML-based integrated
documentation?  In other words, something in which I define functional
requirements once and can then represent the data in multiple forms and
domains?  I've been working on something in XMLSpy toward this end, but it's
becoming quite a challenge...

-Anders