[Sigia-l] Why "design" makes some of us cringe.

christina wodtke cwodtke at eleganthack.com
Mon Jul 22 16:22:46 EDT 2002

>> Now HERE is some art with a purpose.
>>
>> http://www.beatmuseum.org/duchamp/fountain.html
>
> Hmm. Did you forget the smiley or are you unaware of Duchamp's work?

indeed-- Duchamp was incredibly purposeful with this and all his work. He
also gave us the only definition of art that is still working (excuse me
while I paraphrase--

this is art
why is it art?
because I say it is
who are you to say that?
I am an artist.
How do I know you are an artist?
because I say I am

(had trouble finding this conversation, I'm sure a more powerful searcher
can find it)

He also said he did not wish to be a laborer in the fields of art-- the idea
that an artist was the same as a skilled laborer producing products was
abhorrent to him.

product might be a way to think about design and architecture. We are
definitely making some thing or set of things to be consumed. Our ultimate
obligation is to the consumer, not to the maker.

I do agree with whomever said art and design was a continuum. Here's another
thought: what of they are dance partners?